Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why can't it never go smooth?!


I don't know if I had mentioned that departure was fixed for the 2nd of April, but as a matter of fact, despite the superb weather of the last ten days, here we are, still in our, let's say it, former home, delayed not by TomBoy antics, not by missing equipment but by sheer bad luck. We had moved out every single piece of furniture, every last box, pack, bag and basket, and relocated the whole bunch in Tanja's hayloft when, with the assistance of an unusually froward mattress, I lost my balance on top of a narrow staircase, toppled over and gained the lower floor in one go, shattering my right arm and all our chances to leave on schedule, despite all our efforts in the last two months.
I would be furious if I were not conscious of my luck. I could have broken my neck, or crumbled my hand to bits; as it is I have a spectacular but all in all uncomplicated fracture, and we stand a good chance to leave at the beginning of May. Very good doctors took excellent care of my arm, and I am tolerably selfsufficient. I can lead Kaylee with my left hand quite reliably. And life goes on.
This strange forced pause may not be entirely negative either, albeit bought with great personal discomfort (two chunks of titanium in my forearm, 16 screws and 35 staples, but, luckily, no cast). We are stuck in the house with nothing but our camping equipment, and it is a great chance to test everything out before going, a course of action that seems very appropriate now. We cook on our firebox, hobo stove and dutch oven every day, and we have plenty of time to fidget with the cart loading details.
I am not saying that it was worth breaking two bones for it. But I try to make the best of the situation, and see the bright side of things.

No comments: